Monday, September 26, 2011

THURSDAY 7:55 AM 8/22/11

I HAVE EYES IN MY FEET

Yesterday Pastor Didier and I spent  a lot of time in the internet café, the net was so slow that I thought I would never get my mail downloaded.  Didier had some major documents which needed to be downloaded and printed out for the court system.  We never accomplished the latter; it seemed that all we did was consume time.                                                                                                                                                            

We headed out of town and Didier told me that he needed to get a haircut. As it was already twilight we found that the barber shops were already closed.  We kept searching and finally after at least half an hour found one that was open.  We both went inside the shop.  No barber’s chair just a plastic one and almost needless to say there was no artificial lights or electric clippers.  I sat and read until I could no longer see.  Didier’s haircut was finished with hand powered instruments and no light. 

On the way home in absolute darkness and flying dust we saw women walking with loads on their heads. Remember there are virtually no sidewalks in the areas which we frequent.  When Didier comes to the guest house to see me after dark, I ask him if I could walk him home with my flashlight, he tells me, “No I have eyes in my feet.

  THERE IS A STRONG COMITTMENT TO THE DIVISION OF LABOR HERE

One of the things I have learned over the years is that missionaries are not supposed to go to another culture and try to change the culture.  By that I mean that we Americans see things that are done differently than they way we do them. We want to tell the people if you will just do it this way, it is easier and better.  Years ago, a returned missionary told how the women on his field stooped  to use a short broom to sweep the floors.  He bought brooms with long handles  thinking that they would immediately recognize the wisdom of using a longer broom to protect their backs.  The brooms were used as long as he was there.

Every morning I like to go to the porch and observe the local culture.  Part of the local culture is the division of labor.  It is a female job to carry the water for the household.  Occasionally I will see a boy or boys carrying water.  Sometimes a wheelbarrow is used or a bicycle usually it appears to me by a young male.  But you see almost without exception women water for daily household usage. 

A generalization is destroyed by a counter example.  In the Christian community where I am living I have yet to see one female struggling with a heavy load of water.  There is a servant of the local church here named Emory who carries the water for everyone. I watch him carrying water to Pastor Didier’s house and to the orphanage. He even washes the clothing.  Where Christ is preached lives are changed from the inside out and the culture is changed.


IT IS NOW FRIDAY NIGHT AT 8:00 PM

I have no intentions of going to an internet café tomorrow so I do not know when this will be posted, but I have much yet to say.  Tomorrow is about getting rest and r to prepared to preach on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment