Monday, September 26, 2011

SATURDAY NIGHT 9/24/11


Pastor Didier and I just finished a meal of beans, pork, rice and boiled potatoes. The potatoes had been peeled and boiled; the servings looked very much like smaller balls of foo foo. Assuming that the potatoes were foo foo, I almost missed a very delicious part of the meal. I did not realize how delicious a simple boiled potato could be.

My Shower/Bath

I think that I have told you that there is both a bath tub and a shower in the guest house, but no running water.  If Didier is not swamped with work he will heat  and bring me about a gallon of very hot water, I assume that it was boiling when he took it from the charcoal heater.  The gallon of hot water becomes about 2 1/2 gallons of bathing water by the time I cool it down. 

Due to my Navy shipboard experience where we got a shower at sea about once a week under the supervision of a Chief Petty Officer with a stop watch: strip naked, line up, step in the shower for 30 seconds, step out, soap down, you have two minutes to stand under the running water to get the soap off.  I have trouble using so much water.  But it sure did feel good to pour the water over my head and let it run down washing away the soap, sweat and dust. 

As I started to step out of the tub, I looked down on a rather large spider.  It was probably and inch and one-half long and just about that wide.  I threw my used T shirt over the spider and was about to step on it.  Then I  remembered all snakes in Africa are poisonous, what about spiders.  I took my towel folded it and crushed and flushed the spider.

THERE IS A MOUSE IN THE HOUSE

I am sure that I have told you about my adventures with the mouse eating my food and waking me up during the nights.  According to Didier his house is overrun with mice.  He even hears the baby mice crying at night if I understand him correctly.  Sunday after Church we will start a new adventure--shopping for a mature cat. Hopefully one with a voracious appetite.

NEXT WEEK

Monday through Thursday we will run the Conference only for males who are either Pastors or want to be Pastors. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment