Thursday, September 15, 2011

Foo, Foo Tonight…


Tuesday I left Washington D. C. at noon. We flew North to someplace along the Canadian coast and then headed in a South-Easterly direction and dropped down into Africa missing Cairo and paralleled the gulf of Suez. We stopped long enough to change planes in Addis Abba. Then we were off to Malawi which is the smallest and poorest country in Africa. I am glad that I did not have to get off the plane there.

The ride from Malawi to the Congo was little more than an hour long. As I exited the plane my eyes were searching for Pastor Didier. Pastor Didier was at the door awaiting my arrival, but was not allowed to enter the Customs area but just seeing him and knowing he was there made my heart rejoice. I knew that if he was not there I would be a lamb for at least one hungry wolf. At Customs, my passport and shot card were checked with no problems. Clearing Customs probably took all of ten minutes.

Two of my bags were military duffel bags so they had to be opened and inspected before they were released. I gave permission and Pastor Didier was there vouching for me—no problem. Didier has a way of dissolving problems with his innate honesty. He was used to wash away the official’s fears.

About 3:30 we left the airport and headed back to the Mission Station. I am in the guest house awaiting a meal of Foo Foo which Didier and his family are going to graciously share with me. It is made from the Manioc root and leaves. It is a favorite source of carbohydrates for many Africans. I am sure that I will like it. It reminded me of grits if you are familiar with that taste. It was good and filling. We had delicious chicken, a mixture of green beans and carrots, and rice. It was all very good and very satisfying.

By the way I did get a shower, what a joy after spending about twenty-seven hours on the plane. My shower consisted of taking a plastic pitcher of cold water, pouring it over my head, then body, soaping down and more cold water. It was wonderful.


There is a well fed mouse in the house. I woke up during the night to hear something chewing on paper. I just dumped things on the floor of my room last night being to tired to unpack. I had purchased some Cliff Bars at the Folsom Costco. One of them was chewed into and the evidence was left on the floor of my room. It is 10:00 am and I need to go to the Internet Café.

I am going to post this as the access is slow: Didier will soon be back to pick me up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you arrived safe and sound! The meal sounds delicious. I can't wait to hear about your visit with the local people and especially the orphans. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your regular posts and am praying that God will keep you safe over there. from Sharon C.

    ReplyDelete