Monday, October 3, 2011

BLOGGING AT 37,000 FEET (On Monday 10-3-2011)

As I write this I am on the Ethiopian Air flight from Lubumbashi to  Addis Ababa via Lilongwe, Malawi.  I think it is a little more than four hour trip to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  

Last night I did most of my packing.  Much of the personal things which I brought were left behind:  long sleeved shirts, Vaseline Hand Lotion, my last MRE, and part of my heart.  This morning I was up about 6:15. Quickly finished packing, for breakfast I had two slice of bread, Laughing Cow Cheese, and an apple.  I found some iced tea mix which I mixed with warm water for my caffeine fix.  About 7:45 hot water was delivered to my room so I topped everything off with hot Via, but no creamer or sugar.

Everything being in place I went out to watch the morning happenings in the bush.  While in place in my usual chair in the breeze way, a little boy came pedaling along on an elderly bicycle.  On the back of his bike were two little boys, I assume that they were brothers.  I waved them over to me so I could take their pictures.   When the picture was taken the three little boys each had big smiles on their faces.  The bike was soon headed back down the road, but before it left the one who empowered  the bicycle called to me, “Papa, I love you.”

About 9:00 Pastor Didier came to get me so I could  take gifts to his wife and Mama Angelique.  He had warned them that I would be bringing gifts and taking pictures so they were beautifully dressed.  It was my great pleasure to tell them how much I appreciated their hard work taking care of the children and then to give them material for clothing which Didier had chosen. Needless to say they were thrilled. 

I had to have some good-by time: pictures and holding the orphans.  Little Matthew who adores men began to cry.  Pastor Didier said that he knew I was leaving. I had to pick him up and comfort him.  Then I transferred him to Annie’s open arms and left.  Matthew will soon be in the Layton’s  home in Shingle Springs, Ca.  He will have an adoring family.  He is so cute. 

Didier took me to the Airport and got me on the plane safely without any problems I am writing now from Ethiopia where I spent the night as my flight out was cancelled.  I had a night without mosquitos, and plenty of hot water all courtesy of Ethiopian Airlines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment