Wednesday, September 21, 2011

IT IS WEDNESDAY 1:15 PM

Yesterday I was so tired that I went to bed before Didier brought me hot water and turned off the generator. He woke me up about 8:45 to tell me that there was hot water and the power was going off. I told him that I would use the hot water before going to bed, but after he left decided to just go back to bed. I am glad that I went back to bed, because I slept so well and got up feeling good even though the price was a cold bath.

I had cold, dry cereal and an apple for breakfast. At 8:00 Didier came with my quart of so of hot water which made possible my Starbuck’s Via. I used the left over water to shave and wash my head.

We had our third conference with the leaders of the Church. I am not sure, but I believe there were fourteen people attending. Three of them were women, one pleaded for the last three free books and she got them. We have now given away sixty books.

For lunch we had rice and beans cooked with sardines and some unknown vegetable. I took only a small portion not knowing whether I would like the meal or not. The combination was so good that I got extra sauce to season the rice. I have paid a hefty price for meals that did not compare to this one.

I was amazed to see how much food some of the young women were eating, but then I realized that this was probably their breakfast, lunch and dinner. As I thought of this my eyes must have gotten dust in them as they filled with tears. I must admit that my heart is broken over such a beautiful people who suffer so much.

While we were waiting for the food to arrive one man began to speak freely about the problems the Congo is facing. I will not recount the problems. His solution and appeal to the Church of America: send us more Missionaries, have more Bible Conferences and bring more Christian books. I am looking out my open door and I can see a man sitting in a plastic chair reading one of the books.

On arrival I was able to give Didier money with which to conduct the conference. I was only thinking about each person having a good meal at least once a day. After the conference we always haul a load of people back to their houses. I noticed that as we arrive in the general location of home and the person gets out of the van, Didier give a small amount of money to some of them. He told me today that without the gift they would not be able to afford to ride the bus back for the next day.

I asked him about the feeding of hungry people in the Church. He shared with me that he buys beans and Pastor Peter keeps them in storage to feed those who come with empty stomachs.

I am at the internet cafe and must send this. The net is terribly slow, could hardly down load my mail today.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading what you write. It is so good to learn about the culture and get out side of myself. Looking forward to your posts as they come.

    ReplyDelete