Monday, September 9, 2013


SUNDAY

 

I Have Now Been Here One Full Week.

 

This is my first Sunday preaching assignment for this trip.  We are prepared to preach to and then to feed some 450 people.  This is the new norm for the church here which has more than doubled in size in the last two years.  Usually the church meets in three locations with three pastors on as given Sunday and then the church meets every third Sunday at the central location every third Sunday for Communion.  Today we meet for a combined Service.  I assume that it is because I am here as a guest.

 

The scheduled starting time was 10:00 am, but the singing started a 9:45.  Pastor Peter explained that we would start early so we would have more time to glorify God.  I did not try to keep up with the time, but I know that the singing went on for two hours or maybe more.  We had six choirs doing their best and they were nd very well appreciated as measured by the applause.  I preached for more than an hour, but keep in mind that a 20 minute sermon becomes a 60 minute sermon by the time it is translated twice once into French and then into Swahili.

 

After the Service was over then I had my picture taken so many times with so many people and in some cases holding their baby.  I thoroughly enjoyed it but was totally exhausted by the time people began to settle down with foo foo, beans and cassava greens.  The beans were flavored with fish.  We had planned on chicken but it was to expensive.

 

At the close of the Service Didier and I escaped to the guest house for our meal as we were both exhausted.  I believe that it was about 2:30 by the time we got to sit down for our meal. After that I rested but poor Didier had an errand to run and then ended up counselling with two couple who are planning forthcoming weddings. He came by to see me about 8:00 pm and was so tired that his skin tone was grey and his perpetual smile had been erased. We visited for a short time and then I urged him to go home and go to bed.   He did not need much encouragement. 

 

I went to bed and read for awhile with the aid of my flashlight.  I found out later on during the night that I have exhausted the batteries.  I hope I can find new ones today.

 

Didier’s van is in bad shape so it goes in for repairs today.  I will be dropped off for internet access while he is getting the repairs done and Annie is shopping.  Write more later.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment